Formlabs’ Tough 1500 Resin is now certified for skin contact safety in compliance with international standard ISO 10993-1, the recognised standard for manufacturing medical devices and prosthetics.
Tough 1500 Resin is supported by all Formlabs stereolithography (SLA) 3D printers - Form 2, Form 3, Form 3B, Form 3L, and Form 3BL, making it accessible to everyone. Here’s what you need to know about the new certification:
Medical applications for Tough 1500 Resin
Skin contact safety certification under ISO 10993-1 means Tough 1500 Resin can be used in biotechnology and bioengineering applications.
Tough 1500 Resin simulates the strength and toughness of polypropylene (PP), producing stiff and pliable parts that bend and spring back. It has high elongation and a moderate modulus, giving it high memory retention.
Medical applications include steam-sterilised medical devices (autoclaving), orthotics and prosthetics, parts that need to stand up to cyclic loading, connectors, packaging, cases and housings that will come into contact with skin.
Engineering applications for Tough 1500 Resin include springs, snap fits, press fits, and hinges. Skin contact safety certification makes it suitable for use as a medical-grade plastic in a wide range of specialised applications.
Tough 1500 Resin is the most resilient material in the functional resin family and should be the first choice for parts that need to bend and spring back.
Other biocompatible Formlabs Resins
Tough 1500 Resin isn’t the first Formlabs resin to be certified for skin contact under ISO 10993-1, and it won’t be the last.
Here’s a list of other biocompatible Formlabs Resins:
- BioMed Amber Resin - for short-term skin or mucosal membrane contact
- BioMed Clear Resin - for long-term skin or mucosal membrane contact
- Surgical Guide Resin - for dental surgical guides and implant replacement
- Custom Tray Resin - for custom impression trays
- IBT Resin - for indirect bonding trays and orthodontic brackets
- Denture Teeth Resin - for denture teeth
- Denture Base Resin – for denture bases
- Temporary CB Resin - for temporary crowns, bridges, inlays and veneers
- Dental LT Clear Resin - for long-term hard splints and occlusal guards
- Permanent Crown Resin - for permanent single crowns, inlays, and veneers
All of these resins are certified under ISO 10993-1.
Find out more
Ensuring you choose the right additive manufacturing material for your application is our priority, and we know one size rarely fits all.
To find out more about Tough 1500 Resin, request a Formlabs sample, call us on 01765 694 007, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or book a discovery call with our Formlabs specialists Elaine Rutledge or Tammy O'Neill.